New year, new honors…
This year, BMI honored Marvin Sapp for his contributions to gospel music with a Trailblazer of Gospel Music Honor during the award ceremony held at Rialto Center for the Arts in Atlanta yesterday (January 14).
Other awards presented that night included BMI’s Most Performed Gospel Song of the Year, which went to Kirk Franklin for “Wanna Be Happy?” and the Ten Most Performed Songs of 2016:
1. “123 Victory” by Kirk Franklin
2. “Bless This House” by Dorinda Clark-Cole
3. “How Awesome is Our God” by Israel Houghton & New Breed
4. “I’m Good” by Tim Bowman, Jr.
5. “I’m Yours” by Casey J
6. “Intentional” by Travis Greene
7. “Thank You Jesus (That’s What He’s Done)” by Kim Burrell
8. “Worth Fighting For” by Brian Courtney Wilson
9. “Yes You Can” by Marvin Sapp
10. “You Love Me (Best of My Love)” by Anita Wilson
The invitation-only event, hosted by VaShawn Mitchell and previous BMI Trailblazers recipient Yolanda Adams, boosted performances by Travis Greene, Jonathan McReynolds, Zacardi Cortez, Tank, Isaac Carree, Todd Dulaney, Le’Andria Johnson and more!
Here’s a recap of the night, as told by your favorite entertainers:
Catch the pre-recorded airing of the 2017 BMI Trailblazers of Gospel Honors on TV One on January 29 at 7 p.m.