Photo Credit: BMI
On January 16, powerhouse duos BeBe & CeCe Winans and Mary Mary were honored at the invite-only Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) Trailblazers of Gospel Music Honors at the Rialto Center for the Arts in Atlanta where their family and friends were in attendance to witness and pay tribute to their accomplishments in the Gospel music community.
Hosted by Yolanda Adams, who also once received the highly-regarded honor, the night was full of foot-stomping performances of some of BeBe & CeCe and Mary Mary’s biggest hits. They blessed the room with song after receiving their awards, but that was only after a few other gospel artists hit the stage to remind us just how impactful each duo’s music is.
Tribute performers included Keke Wyatt, who sang Mary Mary’s “God in Me,” Y’Anna Crawley, Tasha Cobbs, Kierra Sheard, Tasha Page–Lockhart, Lisa Page–Brooks, Tamela Mann, Kelly Price, Yolanda Adams, Tamia, Jonathan McReynolds, Brian Courtney Wilson, Deborah Cox, Fred Hammond and Marvin & Debbie Winans who sang their siblings’ “Lost Without You.”
In between the honors, Tiff Joy, Ricky Dillard & New G were honored for having the most performed song of the year (“Amazing”), and the following also walked away with awards for the 10 most performed songs of the year:
– “But God,” co-written by Isaac Carree, Philip Cornish, Eric Dawkins & performed by Carree, James Fortune
– “Different,” written by Kirk Franklin and performed by Tasha Page-Lockhart
– “Help,” co-written by Hasben Jones, Harold Lilly & performed by Erica Campbell, Lecrae
– “I Can Only Imagine,” co-written by Israel Houghton, Meleasa Houghton & performed by Tamela Mann
– “I Will Trust,” co-written by Phillip Feaster, Calvin Rodgers & Fred Hammond (performer)
– “No Greater Love,” written by Aaron Lindsey & performed by Smokie Norful
– “This Place,” written by Darrell Blair & performed by Tamela Mann
– “War,” written and performed by Charles Jenkins
– “We Are Victorious,” written and performed by Donnie McClurkin ft. Tye Tribbett
– “You Alone,” written by Michael McDowell & performed by the Arkansas Gospel Mass Choir
BMI President/CEO Mike O’Neill and BMI VP of Writer/Publisher Relations Catherine Brewton were on site to speak to the power of BMI and the value of music. BMI is all about preserving the art and those who make it – everybody from songwriters to composers and music publishers. Some of their past Trailblazer recipients include Kirk Franklin, Jessica Reedy, Donnie McClurkin, Donald Lawrence and so many more.
We were happy to be able to witness BeBe & CeCe Winans and Mary Mary get added to the list. And for the first time in BMI Trailblazer history, you can witness it, too!
The first-ever broadcast of the longstanding show airs nationwide on TV One, February 19 at 8 p.m. ET.
Exclusive red carpet interviews to follow! Stay tuned…
Photo Credit: BMI, Instagram